Wednesday, August 7, 2013

TED Talks App- 20 Minutes of Inspiration for 24 Hours

One month ago (exactly), a friend posted a TED talk on Facebook (this one happened to be about non-profits and how we should stop treating them differently in terms of business plans and expenses than a for-profit).  I listened to it as I was walking to work.  It really was insightful, and not the type of TED talk I would normally pick out myself.  Which got me thinking...

I've been a TED fan for a little while, but recently, they had slipped my mind.  Being that they are short talks, it's interesting to listen to ones on areas outside of my expertise.  As I soaked in that talk on my way to work, I realized that TED must have a phone app.  Sure enough, they do!  I also realized that every day I have a 20-25 minute walk to and from work, a time when I do nothing else but walk.  I immediately put 2 and 2 together, downloaded the app, and put it to use.

As one might expect, the app has a collection of TED talks (short talks that range from just a few minutes to ~20 minutes) on a huge variety of topics.  You can search, watch featured or popular talks, or (my favorite feature) tell the app what you are in the mood for (inspiration, fascination, beauty, funny, etc.) and how much time you have... and *POOF* it gives you a suggestion.  Perfect for hopeless decision-makers, like me.

 Home page (left) and "Inspire Me" feature (right) of the TED app.

One talk I listened to yesterday was called "There are no scraps of men."  It is a story about keeping an open heart, applying your talents and skills to help others who could benefit, and not making assumptions about other people's abilities.  


http://www.ted.com/talks/alberto_cairo_there_are_no_scraps_of_men.html

Another oldie but goodie is the speech that Steve Jobs gave to Stanford graduates in 2005.  Although this isn't exactly a TED talk, it popped up on my app the other day.  It's the kind of speech that gives you goosebumps (to use the word of my Italian friend).



This is why I love TED talks.  Twenty minutes can inspire you for 24 hours.
I encourage you to be inspired.

What is your favorite TED talk?  How are you inspired?  Leave your comments below- I'd love to check out some new TED talks!
  

2 comments:

  1. "Derek Paravicini and Adam Ockelford: In the key of genius" http://www.ted.com/talks/derek_paravicini_and_adam_ockelford_in_the_key_of_genius.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, thanks for sharing! Quite amazing talent!

      Delete