Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Lunch Recipes

Friends, a very happy Easter to all!

Today was a great day.  I felt like I finally was able to just relax... and not feel guilty about it.  Nick and I spent our day cooking our Easter lunch, eating our Easter lunch, cleaning up from our Easter lunch, then watching the Michigan boys dominate their basketball game to make it into the Final Four (Go Blue!!!), baking our Easter dessert, watching the Duke-Louisville game (my brackets are so over, and who else is still cringing at that broken shin bone sticking through the player's skin?) while painting my nails, and finally just chilling here enjoying the evening.

I wanted to share today's menu (served with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc):

Roasted Carrot and Avocado Salad (Food and Wine Magazine, click link for recipe)
Review: I was curious as we began making this recipe-- such a unique combination of ingredients that I would never think could work together (cumin, carrots, avocados, sour cream, poppy seeds, sunflower seeds, citrus vinaigrette, etc.).  I was so pleasantly surprised!  We left out the chile because we couldn't find it in the grocery store, and I can't really handle spicy foods; we also left out the sesame seeds because I thought we had some but apparently we don't.  This salad was selected as Food and Wine's best first course salad recipe.  The carrots are definitely the hit and I think could stand alone as a side vegetable for a dinner.  Next time, I'll probably skip the sour cream; I think without the chile it doesn't add much to the salad.  Overall, a healthy, delicious salad, worthy of serving to guests.

Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes (Cooking Light, click link for recipe)
Review: Eh, not bad, but I've had better.  Decent, but I don't think the mascarpone added anything special. Sour cream or cream cheese would have been just as good or better.

Julia Child's Favorite Roast Chicken (Food and Wine Magazine, click link for recipe)

Review: This was our first time roasting a whole chicken (and we could actually do it thanks to our new roasting pan), and I was nervous.  But it turned out pretty good!  Definitely the gem of this recipe is the onions and carrots at the bottom of the pan-- you must eat your chicken with a drizzle of the sauce and with these roasted veggies.  It wasn't a very difficult recipe.  The chicken itself didn't seem to have too much flavor plain, but as I said, the veggies at the bottom are delicious.  Another dish worthy of serving to guests.

Upside-Down Fudge-Almond Tart (Cooking Light, click link for recipe)  
Review: Pretty much just tasted like a brownie with toasted almonds on top.  It's not bad, and Nick liked it, but it's not really worth the work.  You could get the same effect buying brownie mix at the store and adding almonds. 

Excited for the leftovers I'll get to eat for lunch tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment