Thursday, October 25, 2012

Travaasa Austin

I'm writing this post sitting on the deck of our cabin at Travaasa Austin, a wonderful zen-like resort just outside Austin, TX.  Everything about this place makes you want to stop and enjoy the present moment: their "spa waters" located in every building, the evening turn-down services where you get a new treat each day (so far, we've received mini pecan pies and kettle corn), the beautiful environment with limestone rocks and hiking trails in the nature preserve, the Monarch butterflies (I can't even remember the last time I've seen a Monarch-- certainly not at all since I've been in Philly), the sweet flowers behind me that smell like pure bliss, the infinity pool, the clear skies and light breeze, and the overly courteous Southern charm of the people who work here.


This was my first time experiencing an infinity pool!  They sure are beautifully designed.  I never understood before how they worked (could you go swimming right off the edge?), but then I realized there is wall preventing you from going overboard and the water from all spilling out.  The water that goes over the top of the wall collects in a smaller pool underneath.   

There are tons of these wild flowers!
Notice the bee flying away.

Each day, there are activities that you can sign up to participate in.  As an example of all this resort has to offer (not even all!), I've included the complete list of tomorrow's activities below:

7:30-8:15 am          Heart Starter Hike
8:00-8:45 am          Outdoor Circuit Training
8:00-8:45 am          Bahava- Meditation & Movement
8:30-9:30 am          Riding Lessons
9:00-11:00 am        Challenge Course
9:30-10:15 am        Bull Fitness
9:30-10:15 am        Awakening Yoga
10:30-11:15 am      Harvest Your Core Strength- Bosu Ball
10:30-1:00 pm        Equine Encounter
10:30-11:15 am      Sketch and Draw
11:00-11:30 am      Meditation Walk 
11:00-11:45 am      Culinary Demo- Mexican Hot Chocolate
11:30-12:00 pm      Guided Meditation
11:30-12:15 pm      Latin Dance Spice
11:30-12:15 pm      Slacklining
11:30-12:15 pm      Geocaching
11:30-12:15 pm      Ecology Hike
1:30-3:00 pm          Couples Connection
1:30-2:15 pm          Archery
1:30-2:15 pm          Foam Roller
2:00-3:00 pm          Hands-On Cooking- Knife Skills
2:00-3:00 pm          Riding Lessons
2:00-2:45 pm          Watsu Demo
2:30-3:15 pm          Partner Yoga
3:00-3:45 pm          Nature Crafting
3:30-5:00 pm          Private Life Coaching Sessions
4:00-5:00 pm          Beer Tasting
10:00-11:00 pm      Ghost Stories

Clearly, you can't do everything in one day!  Today, I signed up for the Heart Starter Hike, Equine Encounter, and Ecology Hike (the activities offered today are slightly different than tomorrow).  

During the early morning hike, I realized how wonderful life would be if I could just do this every day!  My new life plan once I graduate is to open up a high-end health and wellness resort like this one.  How awesome would that be?  I could design and lead fitness classes, take people on hikes, and teach people to care for their mind, body, and souls.  Who wants to invest in my new business?  And who has suggestions on where to start?

As I sit here writing this, I wonder what aspects of this vacation I can take back with me to incorporate into my daily life.  Maybe more nature walks in Fairmount Park?  Or recognizing how my body language affects those around me (a lesson from the equine encounter activity)?  Or maybe just every now and then watching how the leaves sway in the breeze and allowing myself to embrace the peacefulness of the world around me.

1 comment:

  1. This place looks amazing, Sarah!! I will add it to my list of places to visit one day. I could totally see you running a resort like this!

    xx
    Katie

    ReplyDelete